Kimberly-Clark has patented a method and sensor device for monitoring the onset of thermal stress in an individual. The system may provide continuous or intermittent monitoring of core body temperature to provide advanced warning before adverse conditions such as heat exhaustion or heatstroke occur. The device may be incorporated into clothing or personal protective equipment (PPE) for use by a wearer.
Potential applications of the technology include:
- Football or baseball helmets for health monitoring of student, amateur or professional athletes
- Incorporation into neck, arm or body bands for non-contact athletic use
- Headwear PPE such as face shields, hard hats or welding helmets
- Biohazard/radiation, full-body or coverall PPE garments
- Stand-alone, reusable devices for individual use or monitoring